Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I'm so obviously disorganized! (Penne a la Vodka, Stuffed chicken breast)

Welp, if you didn't know this about me before, it will quickly become apparent. I am disorganized. Can't even get my menu straight! But that's one of the things we're working on here in our house and something this writing is helping me become more tuned in to.

Haven't done any of the foods mentioned already. So...we're doing the Chicken Marsala tonite. But last night, for some reason, I got it into my head I wanted Penne a la Vodka. Usually more of a special company dish but, hey, why save all the good stuff for company? ;) I've made it before so not so complicated. But I did learn a valuable lesson last night ~ USE THE GOOD VODKA. I've heard it said before "if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it" but come on! It's expensive! And it can't matter that much. So I admit to you now...I stand corrected. I had "good" stuff at home but didn't want to use it so I stopped off and bought the bargain stuff, but not even the cheapest $6 bottle, on my way home. It wasn't bad by any means. We tasted it beforehand(of course) and it was decent just kinda missing something. Well, whatever that something was...now my sauce is missin' it. :(

Don't get me wrong we still ate it. I, of course, was extremely disappointed that I wasn't enjoying my longed-for, previously-successful pasta dish. But it was still plenty edible. And even a little better today as a leftover snack. (lunch, snack, pre-dinner app, whatever!) So here's how we made it: (just be sure to put in good stuff on the liquor part)

Oil in the pan, add about 6 cloves fresh garlic (I prefer pressed to chopped.) and some onion powder (hate messing with raw onions unless I have to)

Before it turns brown, add two cans of tomato paste and one can crushed tomatoes then fill cans with water and add those too.

Add parsley while simmering (I only had dried. Sorry to all the fresh-herbivores)

After about 10 minutes add 1/4 to 1/3 Vodka. Simmer another 10-15 minutes. Salt to taste. (That means taste it now and see if the alcohol taste has dissipated)

Meantime, start cooking your pasta (preferably penne, whole wheat if your up for it!)

Add about 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir in and simmer only about 5 more minutes.

When noodles are done and strained, put in pot or serving bowl and add some sauce to coat. Serve and add additional sauce as desired. Top with Parmesan.

In the past I've added about 1/4 cup Parmesan to the sauce before I finished cooking it. Good either way. Probably healthier if you only add it after.

As a meat...because hubzy can't have just pasta for dinner. I know! What's wrong with him? ;) we had stuffed chicken breast:

Preheat oven to 350.
Add minced garlic, chopped sundried tomatoes, tsp oil, tbsp pesto, handful of spinach leaves and about 3 tbsp water to a bowl. Heat in micro for about 30 seconds. Mix so spinach wilts a little. Add a handful of mozzarella and half a handful of asiago cheese. Mix well.

Split two breasts down the middle and try to make a little pocket inside on both sides. Fill each with half stuffing mixture. Cook in baking dish covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Uncovered for another 15. Check for done. (Cooked mine longer. Was a little dry. sigh.)

You can absolutely substitute whatever you want for the stuffing mixture. I was trying to find stuff to go with my Italian pasta sauce. Got the idea for stuffed chicken from walking around Trader Joe's and they had chicken stuffed with Feta and Mozz and it looked like Kalamata olives. Have to try that one another time.


So...we survived a less than perfect meal. Always have the next meal to look forward to better. Maybe that's what I love about food. Even when I'm disappointed, there's always another food to cheer me up. ?? Hmmm.

On to the Marsala!

Currently eating: Nestle mini morsels chocolate chips (guess I needed a chocolate fix to recover from the vodka sauce disappointment)

No comments:

Post a Comment